"Tell Me" - A Rotational 'Getting to Know You' Activity
by Eriq Powers
(Silver Spring, MD USA)
Here's an easy teambuilder that can be run by anyone, and gets the group working on foundational trust with very little lead-in.
Tell Me ...
The idea of this exercise is for two 'partners' to share with one another answers from a list of questions. Once the two partners have shared with each other, the number 1's rotate to the next person on their right.
- split the group into partners, and have them choose who will be 'number 1' and 'number 2'.
- ask the number 1's to form a circle facing away from the center of the circle.
- ask the number 2's to form a circle around the number 1's and facing towards their partner.
- during this exercise, the inner circle (number 1's) will rotate clockwise, while the outer circle (number 2's) remains in their fixed position.
Once you have asked around 15 questions, take a few minutes to 'debrief' the activity. Here are a few appropriate debriefing questions:
- What was the most surprising thing you learned about someone in the group?
- What did you have in common with someone in the group?
- What is the benefit of doing an activity such as this?
- Was this challenging for anyone? If so, why?
- What was the funniest joke you heard from someone in the group?
- What other questions do you think would work for this activity?
- What does an activity like this have to do with improving the cohesion of the group?
I've run this activity with 4th graders up to adults, and the outcome is almost always the same - increased cohesion among the members of the group with minimal effort.
List of Questions:
1. What is your favorite scar? Tell the story behind an injury that you sustained.
2. Describe your ultimate vacation - either one you've taken, or one you dream of taking.
3. Describe a dream that you remember - either from last night or from your past.
4. Describe your last meal - what would you eat if you could only have one more meal? and why?
5. Describe your first or oldest memory.
6. If you could be any animal, what would you be and why?
7. Describe your least favorite thing to do, and why you hate it.
8. Describe a moment when you felt like a winner. What happened, and how did you do it?
9. Tell your favorite short and repeatable joke.
10. Describe something you fear, why you fear it, and how you cope with that fear.
Any other questions you can add to the list?
Good Luck and if you have any feedback, variations, or criticisms, leave a comment!
This activity was submitted one of the team building companies listed in our directory - for more information, see Go Adventure Sports.